January 15, 2009

Greg Laswell

I've been a bit introspective the past few weeks, which leads to personal posts as opposed to public ones... I guess at times I just need to think about what I'm doing and where I am .. and where I want to be. This generally leads to an internal struggle over whether to go back to school, and if so, what to study. And then there is the big question - when do we want to have kids. Ultimately because this affects what I can realistically hope to study and whether it is financially worth it at the end of the day. Ad they also say you should never pay more for an education than you anticipate to make in your first year of work post-graduation. If this is the case, I'm pretty sure forking over $36,000/year for an MBA isn't the smartest idea. Then again, I spent that on a year's worth of gen eds at Northern. I'm still astonished at what it can cost to take aerobics, pilates and a survey course ;)


These types of thoughts also generally lead me to great new music, and this time was no different. I discovered a neat indie-type artist who composes music with some really moving lyrics. My favorite so far is a song titled "I'd be lying."


Here are the lyrics:


won't you let me give you a hand

i have an extra I'm not using

won't you let me lighten your load

i mean after all your legs are shaking


and i can understand

all i need is your hand

oh won't you take the fall

it is me after all


won't you let me match your stride

i can slow down if you want to

we can handle it side by side


what do you say girl don't you want to

and i can understand

all i need is your hand

oh won't you take the fall

it is me after all


I'd be lying if i ran away

i'd be lying if i ran another way

and so I'll stay


but won't you let me be your man

I'm strong enough you know that i can

be the one to ease your mind (ease your mind)


and i can understand

all i need is your hand

oh won't you take the fall

it is is me after all


I'd be lying if i ran another way

I'd be lying if i ran another way

and so I'll stay


won't you let me give you a hand

i have an extra I'm not using

won't you let me lighten your load

i mean after all your legs are shaking


and i can understand

all i need is your hand

oh won't you take the fall

it is me after all


there's not much that you can do

to get me to run away from you


I'd be lying if i ran away

I'd be lying if i ran another away




And here's a sample of his work, which goes along well with my introspective mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVs_IARPZ70

And his website:

http://www.myspace.com/greglaswell where you can listen to "I'd Be Lying" and a few others.


Tomorrow, I am flying to Ohio for a weekend full of family and good friends. I am so excited to see snow, to be wrapped in my grandpa's big bear hug, celebrate my best friends upcoming wedding at her bridal shower and enjoy a few relaxing evenings with a good book in front of the fireplace. I hope you all have a great MLK weekend!!

2 comments:

  1. I am almost done with my master's degree and yet, I constantly grapple with the question of what is right for me in the future. I will never regret my education, and I very likely won't make close to what I paid for school in my first year of work. The future is always such a hard thing to organize, because it cannot be accurately predicted...things always change. We always change. I think that's good. Life would be quite boring if we just constantly repeated things day to day. I guess the best thing for me is to follow my heart, over my pocketbook and what I think are other's expectations of me, and do what I think is best for me (and Roger, too, of course). Good luck.

    Have fun in Ohio. It has been cold everywhere...in the teens with windchill here. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resolution #1: Blog regularly. Ahem ...

    I understand ... believe me! I'm working on grants right now, and blogging has taken a back seat.

    A word of advice about advanced degrees: Look at the area of study and career possibilities. I often think advanced degrees are overrated, unless one plans to teach in college or rise to the pinnacle of a career field. I know development directors who never went to college and are making six figures. I know art educators and curators with MFAs who are making $30K. Give it serious thought. Is the investment really going to pay off?

    ReplyDelete