November 25, 2008

Under the Weather...

I've spent the past two days under the weather -- quite literally I think, as I'm pretty sure the change in weather the past few days is the reason for my flu-like symptoms. It was in the 50s most days last week, and in the 30s and 40s at night. On Sunday the high crept to almost 80 with nearly 100% humidity. On Monday, I went to the gym for my regular weekday workout and left early after getting lightheaded on the treadmill. I took a cool shower and ate a healthy bowl of total in hopes of feeling better, but it didn't work. I napped and worked from home on and off throughout the day yesterday and woke this morning feeling downright awful. I tried getting up and out the door, but gave in and curled up in my bed for the entire day. I ate chicken noodle soup, drank 5 liters of water, and dozed with the pooches surrounding me. My head is still throbbing, my throat still scratchy, my stomach still grumbly and my ears slightly ringing. Hopefully after another night of rest, I'll wake up full of energy and feeling well again (I'm at least hopeful).

I just watched a wonderful news clip about a young man named Brendon Faller. He was diagnosed with leukemia last December and passed away on Friday. His mother said one of the last things he said was, "When I get to Heaven I'm going to ask God why it had to be so soon, there were still so much I wanted to do." In the past year, despite fighting off illness and receiving treatment, the little guy volunteered to help the homeless. He encouraged everyone to help others. It was a great segment to see at this time of year, but I can't help but wish so many others had his spirit and would embrace each day of their life as a blessing and an opportunity to help themselves, their family and friends, their communities, or their country.

I've noticed lately that my interest in volunteer activities and community activism has returned. I was very involved with several groups in high school, couldn't find the right fit during college, got caught up in so many other things (namely, working essentially two jobs, planning a wedding and then a move across the country) while we lived in Virginia and let this part of me fall under the radar. I am very grateful to have rediscovered this interest and to have found several helpful sites that will help me find projects and programs that can use my talents to better my community.

In this season of giving thanks, I'm thankful for so much but wanting to give back even more. I've been thinking about New Year's resolutions and what I might be able to give up / do more of during Lent. I'm not sure what that list will look like just yet, but I do know that my community, my church and my health will be important parts of it.

Does anyone else have a volunteer activity they love and would like to share? I'm always inspired by stories and learning about new organizations.

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't that story of Brandon Faller terrific. I saw him on CNN and was captivated. It is interesting how much people are willing to give. We are cat sitting for our friend Dawn this weekend. I realize it is not feeding the homeless, but it helps. We also donated to ODU's staff program that feeds Thanksgiving dinner to underpaid staff and their families. It is hard when I need to be doing homework. Of course, I find time for movies, so...I always think maybe next year. Maybe, I'll check for opportunities this year. Well, gotta write, write, write. Feel better and have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better! I, too, am focusing more on my church this year, in several ways. My job is incredibly demanding (as you well know!), and I feel at this point in my life that I want to devote my spare time to youth who need to believe in their importance in God's eyes. There are too many negative influences out there!

    Add "writing on your blog site" to your list of resolutions! I love reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete