November 23, 2008

Prepping for a Whirlwind Week

I am more excited about the holidays this year than I have been in awhile. In the midst of a crumbling economy, worries about the future of our country and the non-profit sector, and very long days of work, I am taking time to enjoy what really matters this holiday season: quality time with family and friends.

My grandpa and my mom arrive in Texas on Wednesday for their first visit since we've moved here. I haven't seen them since my trip home in August and I'm looking forward to showing them our house, our town, Houston and Galveston. Oh yeah, and introducing them to Kirby :)

On Thursday, we're hosting Thanksgiving dinner for them, my cousin Doug, his wife Ann, their boys Bryan and Ben, our friends Jeff and Bekah, their boy Quin and possibly a friend of Mike's from high school and his wife (they just moved to the area this summer, too). A friend of mine from work lent us some of her decorations and we've been putting everything together little by little. Our house has the perfect layout for hosting and we're really looking forward to cooking all of the traditional Thanksgiving foods. Tonight I made my grandma's foolproof pie dough and it's chilling until Wednesday when I'll make pumpkin and blueberry pies. Our turkey is thawing. And all of our ingredients for stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green been casserole, corn, noodles and pumpkin cookies have been bought. Tomorrow, we'll make the potatoes and the cookies. The rest will come together Wednesday night. Doug and Ann are bringing my Aunt Cathie's famed chocolate dessert, candied sweet potatoes and possibly squash. Jeff and Bek are bringing drinks and dinner rolls. I absolutely cannot wait to see everyone and give thanks for such great food, the opportunity to spend quality time together, and the many things we all have to be grateful for this year and often take for granted (our health, our homes, our families, our jobs, our time).

On Friday, I'm avoiding the mall at all costs, going to the gym to burn off some of those Thanksgiving calories, and then hopefully putting up our Christmas tree and other decorations. I love putting a tree up with my grandpa and haven't done this in a few years, so while it'll be different because it's our tree and not his, I'm looking forward to this age-old tradition.

We don't yet have plans for Saturday or Sunday, but Gramps has requested a trip to Galveston, Moody Gardens will have holiday lights and I know a great little restaurant with fabulous seafood and pecan pie. On Sunday, I'm hoping take them to Houston - although I'm not sure what we'll do aside from grabbing lunch/dinner at a local cafeteria called Clayburns. Everything you've heard about Houston and restaurants (in case you haven't heard anything, the city is known for it's large variety of restaurants - from chain to local, barbeque to five-star french cuisine, the city has it all), is definitely true and apparent by my plans ;)

All of this food talk has me craving extra hours at the gym. I want to lose 10 pounds by March and train for a 150-mile two-day bike ride benefit for the Galveston Bay Foundation next October. I refuse to gain the "Girl Scout 15" and really need to be more disciplined and focused. This year, I'm not "waiting until after the holidays" to make continued good health a priority.

I wish you all a happy and festive Thanksgiving and ask you to keep those far from family, serving our country, without homes or special plans in your thoughts. And if you haven't made plans yet, I know most Meals on Wheels organizations need volunteers for their food kitchens on Thursday. The gospel and homily at church today has really inspired me to volunteer more for those less fortunate than I am -- I think I will dedicate a few hours next Thanksgiving (or this if our guests are interested) to this cause. If you're looking for inspiration to donate your time, talent and treasure to help those in need, read Matthew 25:35-46.

Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. I was getting ready to email you and until you I refuse to call you until you update your blog!

    I'm so glad your mom and grandpa are visiting! I know you will treasure every moment with them. Enjoy the holiday, and I will call after Thanksgiving (when I return from my trip to NC).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time this week...Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete