August 19, 2008

Wrist Brace, Ergonomic Keyboard and Steroids, OH MY.

It turns out I'm not too bad at self-diagnosis. For awhile, I was afraid I might have carpal tunnel in my right hand, but the other night I read up on a few hand ailments and decided against it. The burning sensation I'm feeling is located in my thumb/forearm, not any fingers or the underside of my wrist. It sounded a lot more like tendinitis, Mike agreed and my new doctor confirmed. He suggested I take either a strong anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen that would help with the pain or to take a steroid that would help strengthen my wrist and eliminate the problem more quickly. Although I'm a bit nervous about it, I've opted for the steroid. I would rather treat the problem than it's effects. At first, he also suggested I limit all my typing until it healed; he changed his mind when I told him I am essentially a professional writer (grants + reports, instead of articles this time around). He then decided I should wear a brace while I'm typing and driving to stabilize everything and told me to consider making my office more ergonomic. Tonight, I purchased a new keyboard, mouse, keyboard pad and hand splint to hold my wrist up while I use the mouse. In all honesty, I think the biggest problem isn't from work, but from my laptop mouse pad. I've decided to use a little wireless mouse instead, and it already seems to be helping quite a bit. I am also suppose to do strengthening exercises throughout the day, and in the morning/evenings with cold/heat added in. This should be an interesting addition to an already hectic schedule! But worth it ... I don't want any bone spurs or more serious injuries (like arthritis!).

In other news, our fantasy draft is tonight and I'm looking forward to "spending time" with some college friends. Football season is just around the corner and I can't wait!! Here we go, Buckeyes, Here we go! (That is something I will not be mentioning to my new doctor -- he's a Longhorn fan, or at least I assume as much for the little logo on his white coat!)

Amy, please tell Louis I say "Go Bucks!" and that I'm thinking of him :)

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Louis is off this week, but I will definitely pass on your "Go, Bucks!"

    I hope the wrist issue gets better. Go get some glucosomine supplement. Chaz is taking it for his arthritis. It works wonders on the joints!

    Today's move-in day for Rhett. I will call you either this evening or tomorrow (more likely) to talk grants. Today, I'm actually hand delivering one I wrote. I'll explain why when we talk.

    ReplyDelete